Bird photographer, adventurer, and overall really nice guy, our friend Glenn Bartley was kind enough to offer his point-of-view on Canon’s new 7D Mark II. This revue is highly relevant since (a) Glenn is an avid Canon shooter and (b) he currently shoots with the 7D and, like a lot of you, has been waiting seemingly forever for the upgrade.
For Glenn, his new best friend didn’t arrive a moment too soon. He’s more than impressed with the new Canon, even going so far as to hail the 7D Mark II as the ‘new King of APS-C cameras’. You can read his exhaustive review here
Here, in a nutshell, are Glenn’s top 10 reasons why he’s enamored with the new 7D Mark II.
- Improved ISO capabilities in an APS-C camera. The Canon 7D mark II delivers the best in class image quality and is the best APS-C camera on the market today. This makes it the #1 choice for bird photographers.
- So many autofocus points! 65 in all. And they are all cross type too! Plus enhanced low light focus performance.
- 10 fps
- AF at f/8. I am very interested to see how well my 600mm + 2x performs (effective focal length of 1920mm)
- Battery grip with vertical joystick. This will be great for moving the focus point around all of those 65 points while shooting vertically.
- Dual card slots and built in GPS. Definitely nice hardware upgrades.
- New live view/video AF capabilities. Can now track moving subjects while shooting videos. This should be fun!
- Incredible new intelligent viewfinder. So much info available and completely customizable.
- Ability to customize AF settings to several buttons based on how you shoot.
- Better weather sealing, shutter durability and LCD screen