Cindy Burgess: A Seminar Primer

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

cindyburgessheadshot

Want to take your new-found love for video to new heights? Then this Saturday, Cindy Burgess has a seminar for you.

Cindy Burgess is a Toronto-based journalist with more than 20 years of experience in all aspects of the broadcasting industry – both in front of and behind the camera. Cindy is an active traveller and loves experiencing other cultures, activities and ways of life. From storm chasing in Tornado Alley, heli-skiing in the Rockies, sailing around icebergs off Canada’s east coast and melting the soles off her sneakers on an active volcano in Guatemala, Cindy has seen and shot some of the world’s most astounding sights.

We got a chance to ask Cindy some questions in order to get you ready for Saturday.

Give us 3 reasons why video enthusiasts cannot miss this seminar

1. Video is fast becoming the preferred method of communication in our digital, screen-based world. Pretty much everyone has access to a video camera – usually through their smart phone. But very few people really know how to shoot video beyond hitting the record button. Don’t be “that guy” who shoots amateur video that no one wants to watch!
  2. You don’t need $50,000 worth of equipment to shoot quality video. Nor do you have to spend years in school. You just need a willingness to learn and practice the basic principles of visual storytelling. I teach simple techniques you can start using now to make your videos look more professional – no matter what kind of camera equipment or editing software you’re using.
  3. The demand for video is huge, and growing all the time. There’s money to be made for people who know what they’re doing!

What skills will attendees leave this seminar with?

Attendees will come away with valuable tips on shot composition, movement, sound and visual storytelling.

In this seminar, you’ll learn:

• proper framing and composition
  • Shooting handheld vs. using a tripod
  • How to capture great sound
  • How to use natural light to your advantage
  • The secrets of sequencing and much more!

Finally, Cindy is proud to share some of her favourite work here on the blog. What’s more, she’s taken the time to discuss what makes those pieces her favourite.

I shot this video in 2009 while sandboarding in Nicaragua. I was still quite new to shooting my own material, and was using a small camcorder with an external shotgun mic. I sold this video to the Travel Channel. Is it perfect? Of course not. But it’s a great example of how you don’t need tons of expensive gear and a whole production crew to make a video.
One of the techniques I teach is to treat your video camera like a still camera, and let the movement happen within the frame. This video, which I shot just last week, illustrates this technique. Beginners tend to use a lot of pans, zooms and other camera moves. They’re not necessary – in fact, they’re often distracting and take away from the overall message.

kiwibcreative Promo Video from Pro Video Content on Vimeo.

I do a lot of these business profile videos. I use them as an example of how to prepare for and shoot an interview, and gather related cover shots.

Like what you see? This is just a glimpse. Get the full experience by Cindy’s seminar, this Saturday.
Share.

About Author