Atomos has just released the firmware update, announced in July, that adds 4Kp60 RAW recording via HDMI to their Ninja V monitor/recorder from the Sony a7S III camera.
ProRes RAW Recording:
- Uncropped metadata mode 4264 x 2408 at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
- Cropped metadata mode 4240 x 2385 at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p – The Metadata crop provides a simple way to transform the RAW data to a 16:9 aspect ratio that closely represents the internally recorded 4K UHD files.
- 12bit Log
- 16bit linear converted to 12bit Log (visually lossless process) – For more information on this please refer to this video
ProRes and DNX Recording:
- 4KUHD (3840x2160p) recording at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
- HD (1920x1080p) recording at 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
- HD interlaced (1920x1080i) at 50i, 59.94i
- Video output of the camera is 10-bit 422
AtomOS Monitoring Settings:
- Native – Linear to Slog3 or use with 3D LUTs – can use any existing Slog3 LOOK LUTs
- Rec709 – to view RAW input in SDR up to 6.7 stops of dynamic range
- HLG – to view RAW in HLG with up 10.5 stops of dynamic range
- PQ – to view RAW in PQ/HDR10 with up to 10.5 stops of dynamic range, for scenes with extended spectral highlights.
Record up to 4Kp60 10-bit HDR video direct from your camera’s sensor, over HDMI 2.0. Store edit-ready ProRes or DNxHR on affordable SSD drives and bypass your cameras internal compression and record time limits. A tiny 1TB AtomX SSDmini will give you 2.5 hrs of 4K recording.
Known limitations – Sony Alpha 7S III
- Larger recordings on a 2TB SSD may occasionally not play back correctly on the Ninja V. – This is related to playback on the Ninja V only and the recorded file is unaffected.
- Ninja V may not recommence recording automatically when momentarily losing video signal lock due to a faulty cable connection.
- White Balance and ISO adjustments are currently not available in Final Cut Pro X
- Update in future firmware release for both camera and Ninja V
- RAW to HDR HDMI output – PQ / HDR10 output conversion may appear slightly incorrect.
- Fixed an issue where 3D LUTs may not display correctly when switching to Playback mode to view recordings in 10-bit 422 video.
Introducing the long-awaited a7S III. Optimized for video production, with an all-new 12.1MP 4K Exmor R backside-illuminated full-frame sensor built for superb sensitivity and speed. The new BIONZ XR processing engine, with significantly more processing power, can capture and record up to 120p 4K and HD 240 frames at 10-bit 4:2:2 with full pixel readout (no skipping or binning) in all recording modes, including Intra-Frame (All-I). It also has the world’s highest-quality viewfinder at 9.4M dots, and a side swing-out rotating LCD panel.