Important: Before you update, you’ll need to make sure that you’ve updated the firmware for your Canon EOS R5 to at least version 1.4.0. If you haven’t already done so, you can download it from Canon here.
Canon EOS R5 HDMI RAW Support
- ProRes RAW Recording:
- 8K (8224 x 4336) at 23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p
- 5K (5088 x 2680) at 23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, 59.94p
- WB and ISO Controls for FCP Settings slider adjustments
AtomOS Firmware Update Notes:
Canon EOS R5 Settings:
- Set “HDMI RAW output” to On.
- Choose your desired 8K frame rate by selecting it under “Movie rec quality”, and then “Movie rec. size”.
- For 5K recording, enable “Movie cropping” and choose your desired 5K frame rate under “Movie rec. size”.
- Go to Time code, HDMI, and set both Time code and Rec Command to On.
Extended recording time settings:
- Enable the Canon R5’s “Standby: Low res.” option to avoid premature camera overheating & recording timeout.
- With the “Standby: Low res” mode enabled, the R5 will display a message that “HDMI output in standby may differ from the recording quality settings.” This message only applies to the standard video output modes and does not apply to the RAW output.
- Disable the camera’s “Auto power off” option in the Power saving menu.
Ninja V+ Settings:
- Set Ninja V+’s record format to ProRes RAW or ProRes RAW HQ.
- Switch the HDMI Standard to “Compatibility mode” in the Input Menu.
- Still in the Input Menu, set the Trigger Type to HDMI and On.
- There’s a 29:59 minute record time limit imposed by the EOS R5 if you trigger the recording via the camera’s record button. You can immediately restart the recording by pressing the record button again once the timer runs out.
- For extended RAW recording, users should enable the “Standby: Low res” mode on the R5 and trigger recordings by touching the record button on the screen of the Ninja V+ and not the main shutter button or movie record button on the EOS R5. Triggering the recording from the Ninja V+’s touch screen will bypass the 29:59 minute record time limit, allowing continuous RAW recording to the media in the Ninja V+.
- Record Time Examples*:
- 1TB @ 8K30 ProRes RAW HQ: ~40 minutes
- 1TB @ 8K30 ProRes RAW: ~42 minutes
- 1TB @ 5K60 ProRes RAW HQ: ~43 minutes
- 1TB @ 5K60 ProRes RAW: ~50 minutes
- 500GB @ 8K30 ProRes RAW HQ: ~20 minutes
- 500GB @ 8K30 ProRes RAW: ~21 minutes
- 500GB @ 5K60 ProRes RAW HQ: ~22 minutes
- 500GB @ 5K60 ProRes RAW: ~25 minutes
* Time available for continuous shooting in a 23°C / 73°F environment, from a cold start. If the camera isn’t in the “Standby: Low res.” mode, or if the ambient temperature is higher, the shooting time may be shorter.
Cover Image Credit: Atomos