The LUMIX S5 is a “high-amateur” level, compact, full-frame mirrorless camera that shares a lot of the same attributes as the much more expensive, pro-level LUMIX S1H.
There is also 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization that offers up to 5 stops of shake reduction and up to 6.5 stops when paired with a compatible lens.
On the exterior, there is a 2.36 million-dot OLED viewfinder with 0.74x magnification and a 3-inch 1.84-dot variable-angle LCD.
The S5 features two SD card slots, one UHS-I and another UHS-II, and a higher capacity 2,200mAh battery that can be charged over USB-C.
As with other S Series cameras, the S5 is compatible with all of Panasonic’s L mount lenses.
Panasonic Lumix S5 First Impressions
The contrast detect autofocus system uses deep learning AI technology to improve both speed and precision when shooting video or stills.
The advanced AI also offers human body / animal recognition that can accurately tell the difference between a human or animal subject.
Face/Eye Detection, subject tracking and small subject recognition have all been improved for both video and still applications.
Improved Recognition AF
- Faster Recognition Speed + Additional Head Recognition
- Quickly recognize the face and eyes of moving subjects
- Twice the recognition speed of conventional products
- Improved eye recognition accuracy when the face is tilted
- Improved face and eye recognition accuracy even if the subject is small
- Quickly recognize the moving human body
- Improved eye recognition accuracy when face turns around
- Improved human body recognition accuracy even if the subject is small
Video AF Improvement
- Improved Head Recognition & Faster Recognition Speed
Still Image AF Improvement
- Improved DFD & Faster Recognition Speed
- Follow small subjects (Prioritize small frame)
- Don’t lose focus to the background
- Quick refocus after losing focus (Combined with DFD D-range extension and object recognition)
- Improvement of AFC visual quality (smooth focusing) on monitor in live-view by changing the control algorithm of AFC and using DFD technology
The S5 is capable of continuous internal recording up to 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:0 and 4K 30p 10-bit 4:2:2 for up to 30 minutes or 4K recording at 30p 8-bit 4:2:0 without a time limit.
External RAW recording via HDMI to a compatible monitor (such as the Atomos Ninja V) supports up to 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 output.
In Slow & Quick mode, 1080p video at up to 180fps on a 24fps timeline is recorded to create 7.5x slow motion video.
Rounding out the video capabilities, the S5 offers up to 14-plus stops of dynamic range, V-Log and V-Gamut compatibility, 4:3 Anamorphic mode, interval shooting, and 4K HDR.
The S5 features a new High Resolution mode that, (with the assistance of a tripod), shoots 8 consecutive images and then stiches them together to create a 96MP equivalent image in both RAW and JPEG formats.
If you like taking photos of stars or fireworks, there is also a new Live View Composite function that will interest you.
It works by releasing the shutter at designated intervals of exposure time, taking several live shots and then merging the bright parts into a single clear image.
The LUMIX S5 is a new hybrid full-frame mirrorless camera that achieves both excellent performance in photo/video and stunning mobility for serious photographers and videographers.
At the heart of the camera, the LUMIX S5 contains a 24.2-megapixel 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor that boasts a wide dynamic range and high sensitivity performance. The LUMIX S5 further realizes recording maximum ISO 51,200 crystal-clear high sensitivity video with the adoption of the Dual Native ISO technology.