After months of rumours, Canon has joined the mirrorless fray with its announcement, today, of the new Canon EOS M.
Combining the imaging quality of a DSLR and the convenience of a point and shoot into a single body, the EOS M features an 18 MP APS-C CMOS (APS-C) Sensor, Full HD movie capture with Focus Tracking, manual exposure control, a 3.0” touchscreen LCD, touch autofocus and multi touch operation.
In addition, two new lenses designed specifically for Canon’s new camera format – the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM kit lens and the optional EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens – and the ability to use the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses through the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M add to the EOS M’s versatility.
- EOS Full HD Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects also includes:
• Manual exposure control
• Multiple resolution frame rates
• Built-in stereo microphone
• Manual audio level adjustment
• Video Snapshot mode with touch-screen editing
- 18.0-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12800 in H mode) for video recording, ISO 100-12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode) for still image shooting from bright to dim light and high performance Powerful DIGIC 5 Image Processor for exceptional image quality video and photos
- Hybrid CMOS AF delivers fast autofocus speed for video and photos
- Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II (approximately 1,040,000 dots) with smudge-resistant coating features multi-touch operation allowing photographers to use familiar gestures such as “pinch-to-zoom” and “swiping” to scroll between pictures and Touch AF for an easy and intuitive video capture experience
- Scene Intelligent Auto mode delivers expertly optimized photos and scene detection for amazing results even when shooting at night
- Advanced imaging features like Handheld Night Scene mode, HDR Backlight Control mode, and seven Creative Filters provide added versatility
- Multi-shot Noise Reduction helps preserve precious detail in photos at high ISO speeds
- Compatible with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, including new Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) cards
- Compatible with all Canon Speedlite accessories including the new Speedlite 600EX and Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
- Compatible with Canon’s GPS Receiver GP-E2
[flagallery gid=28 name=”Canon EOS M Digital Camera”]
The Canon EOS M will be available in October 2012 in two configurations: EOS M (Black) + EF-M 22mm f/2 STM kit lens and a Speedlite 90EX for MSRP $829.99; EOS M (White or Red) + EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM kit lens and a Speedlite 90EX for MSRP $879.99.