Continuing their roll out of new cameras, Nikon also announced the new flagship for their DX line of cameras the D500
It may be smaller than the newly announced D5, but the D500 packs a lot of power into its diminutive frame.
Weighing only 760 grams (1.6 lbs for our friends that still think in imperial), the D500 is sure to be a favourite with travel & street photographers, due to its smaller and lighter body size.
The D500 features a Nikon developed 20.9-megapixel DX-format CMOS and is coupled with the same EXPEED 5 image processing engine as the much larger Full-Frame D5. This allows the D500 to process images at up to 10fps.
While the D500’s ISO range isn’t quite as wide as the D5’s, it’s still incredibly impressive at ISO 100-51,200, (expandable to ISO 50-1,640,000 equivalent). The new Multi-CAM 20K autofocus system is also the same as on the D5 providing you with 153 AF points (including 99 cross-type points).
Shop for the Nikon D500 at Vistek
The D500 makes photo sharing a easy with it’s SnapBridge (SnapBridge App coming soon) functionality. SnapBridge allows you to transfer your images to a compatible smart device from anywhere in the world using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology.
The D500 also features built-in Near Field Communication (NFC) capability makes it incredibly easy to connect the camera to your compatible smart device. Or, if you want faster wireless image transfers, the D500’s built-in Wi-Fi capability allows for this.
Add the the optional WT-7A wireless transmitter to enable transmission of files to an FTP server or computer at speeds of up to 866.7 Mbps.
Nikon D500 Key Features
- 20.9MP DX format CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor
- Multi-CAM 20K Autofocus sensor with 153/99 AF points
- ISO range of 100-51,200 expandable to Lo 1 and Hi 5 (50 – 1,640,000 equivalent)
- Shares images instantly with built-in SnapBridge (Wi-Fi® + Bluetooth) capabilities
- Shoots cinematic 4K UHD video
- Dual card slots – XQD and SD media
- 3.2-inch 2,359k-dot tilting RGBW LCD touchscreen
- Built in WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC