The Nikon D6 is their newest flagship professional level DSLR aimed at sports photographers and photojournalists, offering “the Most Powerful AF System in Nikon’s History” in addition to a slew of performance and workflow improvements.
The Nikon D6 features a 20.8MP full-frame CMOS sensor (same as the previous D5 model), Nikon’s latest EXPEED 6 image processor and an ISO range from 100 to 102,400, expandable up to 3.2 million.
The Most Powerful AF in Nikon’s History
However, the big news about this camera is what is being touted as the “most powerful AF system in Nikon’s history.”
Utilizing a newly developed,105-point AF system, in which all focus points utilize cross-type sensors and are selectable. The D6 also features a new focus point layout and triple-sensor arrangement for each focus point that provides approximately 1.6x more coverage than that found on the previous D5.
It also features an expanded focus detection range, increasing the detection area for single point AF and dynamic area AF, which Nikon says will “make it easier to achieve focus on a subject even when slightly outside the focus point.”
The Group AF mode has also been improved and now supports 17 custom focus point arrangements that users can choose from depending on the scene or subject movement.
Low-light AF performance has also been given a boost with the center focus point working down to -4.5 EV1 and the other focus points to -4 EV.
Thanks to the new EXPEED 6 processor and dedicated AF engine the D6 boasts a maximum burst rate of 14fps (up from the 12fps on the D5) with full AF and AE using the mechanical shutter and 10.5fps when shooting in “silent mode” using the electronic shutter.
When shooting video (Movie Mode), the D6 also has the ability to capture 2-megapixel images at approx. 60 fps and 8-megapixel images at 30 fps by pressing down the shutter.
Improved Workflow Options
Nikon also states that the D6 “is the most customizable Nikon DSLR yet, designed to speed up the workflow of any user during and after capture” by adding or improving upon the following features:
- Recall shooting functions create combinations of settings that can be assigned to a specific button to get the perfect shot in a pinch
- The D6 excels in connectivity and supports the same 1000BASE-T Ethernet standard as the D5, with an approximate 15% increase in transmission speed. The camera also supports a number of options for wireless networking, offering built-in 2.4- and 5-GHz*3 Wi-Fi®4 or traditional wireless transfer using the WT-6 Wireless Transmitter (optional)
- Includes 14 customizable buttons, assignable to any of 46 unique function choices and a new intuitive menu system
- Priority Image Transfer gives the ability to move an important image to the front of the queue when speed is of paramount priority, which can easily be done by swiping the touch LCD during playback
- Security Lock compatibility supports connection of anti-theft cables to provide maximum security for remote applications or when the camera is unattended
- Built in GPS5 gives accurate time, date and location information for just about anywhere on the planet
- Dual CFexpress6 slots offer blazing fast read/write times and have the ability to overflow, copy or separate file types
- JPEG functions allow for the simultaneous recording of two JPEG images with different image size and quality settings, which is convenient for separating images that will be transmitted from those that will be edited
- Creativity options for multimedia creators including a new interval timer mode to retain the best resolution and enable in-camera time-lapse movie file recording providing professionals the ability to create exceptionally sharp 16:9 4K Ultra HD video
The D6 features a magnesium alloy camera body and extensively weather-sealed design, long-lasting battery life, a Kensington Lock connector for added security against theft, and a USB-Type C connector allowing for faster direct-to-PC file transfer rates than that of the D5.
Like every Nikon flagship camera that has come before it, the D6 holds nothing back. Featuring Nikon’s most powerful AF system to date for capturing every heart-pounding, pivotal moment, the D6 is an uncompromising workhorse that lives up to every professional demand in any environment. And because every second counts in the field, the D6 is loaded with new time-saving workflow enhancements and advanced customization options. The moments that define us, that show what we’re capable of, the ones that live on, are waiting to be captured with a Nikon D6 DSLR.