Nikon fans have been waiting on an update to the venerable D4s DSLR for a while, and yesterday, Nikon gave them a reason to celebrate with the introduction of the D5 DSLR…
With yesterday’s announcement, the FX format line of cameras has a new flagship model, and boy, what a flagship it is.
Equipped with a brand new 20.8-megapixel sensor and coupled with Nikon’s new Expeed 5 image processor, the D5 is capable of pushing the ISO envelope up to a staggering 3,280,000.
[pullquote]It’s literally like being able to see in the dark…[/pullquote]
That’s not a typo, the ISO will expand to just over THREE MILLION! Let’s let that sink in for a moment…
[While it’s not the only camera that can shoot that high (Canon’s $30,000 ME20F-SH announced in 2015 is capable of pushing over 4,000,000), the D5 is going to be a lot more accessible to most photographers.]
“The D5 boasts myriad powerful new imaging innovations, including a Nikon-developed 20.8-megapixel CMOS sensor, an all-new 153-point AF system, 4K UHD video capture and EXPEED 5 image processing to give photographers the best balance of performance, precision and low-light ability.” Nikon
Shop for the Nikon D5 at Vistek
[column size=”1/2″][button link=”https://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/401976/nikon-d5-body-cf-card-version.aspx” target=”new” text_color=”#ffffff” color=”#007ac3″]NIKON D5 (CF CARD VERSION)[/button][/column]
[column size=”1/2″][button link=”https://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/405700/nikon-d5-body-w-32gb-gseries-xqd-memory-card-adapter.aspx” target=”new” text_color=”#FFFFFF” color=”#007AC3″]NIKON D5 (XQD CARD VERSION)[/button][/column]
The D5’s AF system has been totally redesigned and now utilizes 153 focus points, (99 of which are cross-type sensors) and a dedicated processor. Additionally, the D5 is now capable of 12 fps continuous shooting with full AF and AE performance (up to 200 shots in a single burst).
The D5’s 3.2-inch XGA touchscreen LCD
The 3.2-inch XGA touchscreen LCD on the back features 2.36 million dots of resolution and a smartphone-like interface making it easy to select AF points or Spot White Balance when in Live View. It also allows you to swipe through shots, pinch to zoom, edit file names and more.
4K UHD Video Capability
The D5 is the first full-frame Nikon DSLR capable of capturing 4K UHD video with dot-by-dot readout for maximum image quality.
- Capture 3840 x 2160 at 30/25/24p with an angle of view approx. 1.5x lens focal length
- Record Full HD 1080 video at 60/30/24p.
- 4K UHD Time-lapse, right in camera.
- Auto ISO handles smooth lighting transitions from ISO 200 to the sensitivity of your choice (all the way up to Hi-5).
- Simultaneous external and internal recording
- Flat Picture Control
- Zebra Stripes
- Built-in stereo microphone with 20-step increment adjustments
Works with the new SB-5000 Speedlight
The D5 is also optimized to work with the newest Nikon radio controlled speedlight, the SB-5000.
The SB-5000 operates via radio frequency and will operate without a direct line of sight for a range of up to approximately 98 feet (30 metres). The SB-5000 can fire consecutively for longer than conventional models, without flash cool-down time between bursts, and can fire up to 120 continuous shots at 5 second intervals.
Nikon D5 Key Features:
- New 20.8MP FX-format CMOS image sensor and EXPEED 5 image processing
- Widest native ISO range ever in a Nikon full-frame DSLR: ISO 100 to 102,400 (expandable to Hi-5, ISO 3,280,000)
- Redesigned AF system with a 153 focus points, 99 cross-type sensors and a dedicated processor
- 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) video recording and pro-grade video features
- 12 fps continuous shooting with full AF and AE performance; up to 200 shots in a single burst
- Dual XQD card slots or dual Compact Flash slots