Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III
The compact & lightweight, E-M1 Mark III features a 20.4 Megapixel Live MOS sensor and new TruePic IX image processor and boasts what Olympus calls “the world’s most effective image stabilization” capable of compensating for up to 7.0 shutter speed steps (body only) or up to 7.5 steps with a Sync-IS compatible lens.
The E-M1 features a 121-point all cross-type On-Chip Phase Detection AF sensor offering 75% vertical and 80% horizontal coverage of the focusing area.
It also utilizes an advanced AF algorithm that is able to focus on fast-moving subjects with a high degree of precision up to continuous shooting speeds of up to 15 fps (single shot-AF), 10 fps (continuous shot-AF) with the mechanical shutter or up to 60 fps (single shot-AF), 18 fps (continuous shot-AF) Silent Electronic Shutter at full pixel count.
Face and Eye detection AF has been improved to better detect small faces and eyes while staying focused on the subject even in difficult situations where face detection traditionally struggles such as shooting towards the side of a face.
High Res Shot
As with the previous E-M1 Mark II, there is a Handheld High-Res shot mode that allows you to capture up to the equivalent quality of a 50MP image while shooting handheld. That number is boosted to an 80MP equivalent image when shooting with the camera mounted on a tripod.
Starry Sky AF
Starry Sky AF is a new feature aimed at Astrophotographers that uses a dedicated AF algorithm that provides ultra high-precision focusing on even the smallest of celestial bodies in the night sky. It uses two different modes depending on how you are shooting.
The default Speed Priority Mode is suitable for hand-held astrophotography and gives priority to AF speed to shorten shooting time and Accuracy Priority Mode is for designed for tripod mounted shooting and offers more precise focus scanning especially when using a telephoto lens.
Live ND Mode
As with the Flagship E-M1X, the E-M1 Mark III features Live ND Mode. This mode virtually eliminates the need to swap separate ND filters for each shooting scene or lens and offers 5 ND levels starting from ND 2 (1EV) to ND32 (5EV) with a live preview through the viewfinder or using the LCD touchscreen on the back of the camera.
The big news is that the E-M1 Mark III features an electronic IS mode specifically designed for video recording. This mode, combined with the 5-Axis In-Body Stabilization means that handheld video content creation, even in high-resolution formats is a breeze!
The E-M1 Mark III can record Cinema 4K at up to 24p, 4K at up to 30p and Full-HD at up to 60p and offers a High Speed Mode that captures footage at up to 120fps for super slow motion.
It also supports OM-Log400 shooting without loss of details in shows and highlights and better colour grading.
The internal microphone uses Wave Format (Stereo linear PCM/16-bit, Sampling frequency 48kHz) to capture audio, but an external recording device such as an Olympus LS series high-resolution recorder can also be connected.
OM-D E-M1 Mark III is a professional model which captures high quality images in a compact & lightweight system and enables shooting in any situation. This model is designed for professional photographers and is equipped with the world’s most effective image stabilization which compensates up to 7.5 shutter speed steps. Handheld High-Res shot delivers up to 50MP image quality in a portable body minimizing stress on the photographer. The AF performance and high-speed burst speed made possible by the new AF algorithms and TruePicTM IX processor allow photographers to capture virtually any scene.
Full Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Specifications
- Sensor Effective Resolution
- 20.4 MP Live MOS
- Aspect Ratio 4:3
- TruePicTM IX
- ISO Range
- (ISO Low 64, 100) 200 – 25600
- Image Stabilization
- Built-in 5-Axis IS for Still Photos & Video
- Stabilization Performance
- 7.0 EV steps (body only)
- Up to 7.5 EV steps (when used with Sync-IS compatible lenses)
- Electronic LCD Viewfinder, Approx. 2.36M-dots
- Field of View / Viewfinder Magnification
- 100% / 1.48x (0.74 x 35mm equivalent)
- Rear Monitor
- 3.0-inch Vari-angle Touch LCD, approx. 1.04 million dots (3:2)
- Live View
- 100% field of view
- Exposure compensation preview, WB adjustment preview, gradation preview, face detection
- Preview (up to 8 faces)
- 121-point cross-type phase detection and contrast detection AF
- All target, single target (normal / small), group target (5-area / 9-area / 25-area), custom target mode
- Shutter Type
- Focal-plane shutter (mechanical shutter)1/8000 – 60 sec, Live Bulb, LiveTime, Live Composite
- Electronic first curtain shutter 1/320 – 60 sec
- Electronic shutter (Silent mode) 1/32000 – 60 sec
- *Settings for sound, AF illuminator, and flash can be set to ON/OFF separately, default setting is Off for all three
- Flicker Scan Video recording 1/30 – 1/250.0 Still 1/50.0 – 1/7634
- *Video recording S/M mode, Still S/M silent mode only
- Video Recording Format
- MOV (MPEG-4AVC/H.264)
- Mode / Frame Rate / Compression Method
- 4096×2160(C4K) / 24p / IPB(approx.237Mbps)
- 3840×2160(4K) / 30p, 25p, 24p / IPB(approx.102Mbps)
- 1920×1080(FHD) / 30p, 25p, 24p / ALL-I (approx. 202Mbps), IPB (approx. 52Mbps, approx. 30Mbps, approx. 18Mbps)
- 1920×1080(FHD) / 60p, 50p / IPB (approx. 52Mbps, approx. 30Mbps, approx. 18Mbps)
- 1280×720(HD) / 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, 24p / ALL-I (approx. 102Mbps), IPB (approx. 26Mbps, approx. 14Mbps, approx. 10Mbps)
- High Speed Movie
- 120 fps (1920 x 1080 / MOV)
- Sequential Shooting Maximum Speed
- Up to 15 fps (S-AF), 10 fps (C-AF) Mechanical Shutter
- Up to 60 fps (S-AF), 18 fps (C-AF) Silent Electronic Shutter
- Weather Sealed
- Dust-proof, Splash-proof (IPX1), Freezeproof to 14ºF (-10ºC)
- Special Features
- Starry Sky AF Mode
- High Res Shot Mode (50MP Handheld & 80MP Tripod)
- Live ND (Neutral Density)
- Customizable AF Target Modes
- Battery Life
- Approx. 420 Shots with BLH-1 Battery
- USB Charging
- Replaceable battery is charged with USB-PD compliant charger
- * When the camera power is off * Charging performance varies with based on power of USB charging device.
- 134.1mm (W) x 90.9mm (H) x 68.9mm (D)
- Approx. 580g (with battery and memory card, based on CIPA standards)
Also published on Medium.