It’s been 4 years since Canon released their flagship 1DX Mark II DSLR and now, just in time for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, Canon has officially announced its successor, the EOS 1DX Mark III.
Canon EOS 1D X Mark III Overview
The 1D X Mark III features a new 20.1-megapixel, full-frame CMOS sensor, newly developed four-layer, High Detail Low-Pass Filter and powerful DIGIC X image processor (the Mark III is Canon’s first DSLR to feature it), offering what Canon says is the “highest level of performance an EOS DSLR has ever possessed.”
It also boasts a new 191-point AF system capable of tracking a subjects head and face using deep learning technology and Dual Pixel CMOS AF with up to 3,869 manually selectable and 525 automatic focus points that covers approximately 90% horizontal and 100% vertical of the viewfinder area.
ISO range has also been given a boost, now offering 100 to 102400 (doubling the top end of 100-51200 in the Mark II) and can be expanded to 50-819200.
The previous Mark II’s dual DIGIC 6+ processors have been replaced with the aforementioned DIGIC X processor and a DIGIC 8 processor that is solely dedicated to AF/AE functionality.
Canon says that this processor combination offers 3.1 times more imaging processing power and 380 times better Dual CMOS AF processing performance over that of the Mark II.
One of the things that made the previous 1DX Mark II popular for sports and wildlife photographers is its lighting fast continuous shooting speed of up to 14 fps (16 fps in live view).
Thanks to the new image processors, the Mark III improves upon that, now offering up to 16 fps (20 fps in live view) with AF/AE tracking.
The ultimate EOS is here, making way for a new era in autofocus speed, accuracy and precision — the EOS-1D X Mark III. Offering the highest level of performance an EOS DSLR has ever possessed, the EOS-1D X Mark III changes the game for serious photographers around the world, boasting a powerful new 20.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, combined with a cutting-edge new DIGIC X image processor, for truly outstanding stills and video.
To handle this speed, the Mark III can capture a maximum burst rate of 1,000 images or more (in RAW + JPEG) when recording to CFexpress cards through its dual card slots. Canon also says the Mark III will also capture 5.5K/60p and in-camera RAW movie recording with virtually no restriction.
4K 60p with Canon Log, 10-bit 4:2:2 and 5.5K RAW Video Internal Recording.
Thanks to the new processors, the 1DX Mark III also offers up some impressive video recording capabilities, with advanced features such as 4K (DCI) at 60 fps (cropped/uncropped), and 4K UHD at 60 fps (uncropped).
The Mark III supports 12-bit 5.5K RAW video internal recording and also has an HDMI port that can output 10-bit movie footage in ITU-R BT.2020 colour (when Canon Log setting is activated) 4K video directly to an external drive.
Using the dual card slots, the Mark III can record 5.5K RAW footage on one CFexpress card while simultaneously recording a high-quality 4K MP4 video on the second.
- High Image Quality with New 20.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor Combined with Newly Designed High Detail Low Pass Filter.
- New DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-102400; Expandable to 50-819200.
- New 191-point AF System Capable of Tracking the Subjects Head and Face using Deep Learning Technology.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for Fast and Accurate Auto Focus using up to 3869 Manual AF Positions and up to 525 Automatic Positions.
- High-Speed Continuous Shooting of up to 16 fps and up to 20 fps in Live View with AF/AE Tracking.
- Achieves a Maximum Burst Rate of 1000 images or more (RAW+JPEG) in Continuous Shooting with Dual CFexpress Card Slots.
- 4K 60p with Canon Log, 10-bit 4:2:2 and 5.5K RAW Video Internal Recording.
- Enhanced Operating Controls.
- Built-in Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and GPS Technology.
- Faster Speed and Improved User Interface for Networking with Optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E9 or with Built-in Ethernet Port.
- IPTC Tags can be applied with a Compatible Mobile Device or PC Connection.
- Impressive Durability including Dust-and Weather- resistance.
Also published on Medium.