It’s not every day that Sony announces a new full-frame model; rarer still when it comes with a massive 61-megapixel sensor. In fact, it’s never been done before. Yes, get ready to welcome the world’s first, the a7R IV.
The actual launch is still weeks away, but here’s what we know about the new a7R IV so far. Along with that powerful back-illuminated BSI-CMOS image sensor, it’s packed with other impressive features, too, including: 5-axis in-body image stabilization, a 567-point hybrid AF system with real-time eye, human and animal AF, plus the ability to shoot at 10 fps with continuous AF for up to 68 photos. The camera can also capture 15 stops of dynamic range.
Enter a whole new world of photographic expression with incomparable image quality and processing speed. A powerful new choice joins the α7R series with ever more advanced connectivity and enhanced reliability demanded by pros.
That real-time eye autofocus feature also works when shooting video, incidentally – another first among Sony cameras. When activated, it automatically tracks a subject’s eye with incredible precision and reliability. The camera’s Multi Interface Shoe now allows for a direct, digital connection from a new (simultaneously launched) ECM-B1M shotgun mic or XLR-K3M XLR Adaptor Kit (ditto) for super-high-quality audio recording.
The body has been redesigned as well, with upgraded weather-sealing, a deeper grip and repositioned buttons, plus a 5.76M-dot EVF and dual UHS-II card slots. The camera employs USB-C, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity.
Sony has raised the bar significantly with this daring new alpha model, and the exquisite image quality resulting from this unprecedented combination of super-high resolution, wide dynamic range, excellent focus performance and high-speed continuous shooting will truly be something to behold.
- 61MP-resolution 35mm full-frame back-illuminated CMOS image sensor
- 567 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering 74% of the image area
- Real-time eye AF, for animal and human subjects
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization
- 76-million dot UXGA OLED Tru-finder EVF
- Professional 4K movie recording functionality
- Upgraded dust and moisture resistance with additional sealing at all body seams, battery compartment cover and media slots
- Multi Interface Shoe with digital audio interface
Also published on Medium.