Geared more towards the video crowd, the Sony a7SIII boasts some pretty impressive features, particularly it’s low-light capabilities, and might just be the best hybrid video camera to come to market in recent years.
At the heart of the Sony a7SIII is an all-new 12.1MP, backside illuminated full-frame sensor with 2 times readout speed, designed to capture ultra-clean low-light images with an ISO range of up to a mind boggling ISO 409,6003 (expanded) for both video and stills.
It also boasts 15+ stops dynamic range and 3 times reduction in rolling shutter, fast hybrid autofocus with 759 phase detection AF points, a new BIONZ XR processing engine providing 8 times more processing power (than previous BIONZ processors) and the ability to capture up to 120p 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 and full pixel readout in all recording modes.
In addition to the 759 phase detection AF points, real-time Eye-AF and real-time AF tracking has been improved by approximately 30% down to EV-6.
Introducing Alpha 7S III | Sony | α
Sony has eliminated the 29 minute 50 second recording interval found on previous versions and has vastly improved the internal heat distribution to the point that Sony says you’ll be able to continuously record 4K 60p footage for up to an hour without the camera overheating.
The dual card slots are compatible with both CFexpress Type A and SDXC/SDHC cards to ensure fast data transfer, and you’ll be able to output 16-bit, 60p RAW footage via the full sized HDMI Type-A connection to a compatible external recorder/monitor.
Atomos to record 4Kp60 ProRes RAW over HDMI from Sony’s Alpha 7S III to the Ninja V HDR monitor-recorder
On the exterior of the camera, you’ll find the improved 9.44M dot QXGA OLED viewfinder, a world’s first according to Sony, as well as a 3” flip-out, vari-angle LCD touchscreen that gives you access to menus and controls.
Kitchen | Alpha 7S III | Sony | α
Speaking of menus, Sony has finally gone with a new, intuitive menu layout featuring 3 level structure and touch navigation that should prove to be less confusing to navigate through.
The a7SIII also boasts 10 in-camera customizable Creative Looks for that can be used for both stills and movies.
For stills, the a7SIII can capture up to 1000 RAW+JPEG at 10fps with continuous autofocus and exposure
as well as 10-bit HEIF HLG images with selectable 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 sampling.
Introducing the long-awaited a7S III. Optimized for video production, with an all-new 12.1MP 4K Exmor R backside-illuminated full-frame sensor built for superb sensitivity and speed. The new BIONZ XR processing engine, with significantly more processing power, can capture and record up to 120p 4K and HD 240 frames at 10-bit 4:2:2 with full pixel readout (no skipping or binning) in all recording modes, including Intra-Frame (All-I). It also has the world’s highest-quality viewfinder at 9.4M dots, and a side swing-out rotating LCD panel. It delivers super-clean low-light, low-noise images at up to ISO 409,600 with 15+ stops dynamic range. The advanced processing means seriously reduced rolling shutter, plus Sony’s fast hybrid, face, eye, and animal autofocus with 759 phase detection AF points, even in HFR video modes. Along with 5-axis in body stabilization, there’s a simpler new menu structure, with touch control, a passive in-body cooling system and so much more, the a7S III has definitely raised the bar!
- 12.1MP1 Exmor R sensor, optimized for 4K, sensitivity and speed
- New BIONZ XR processing engine delivers 8x more processing power
- Low noise images w/ ISO up to 409,6003 and 15+stop dynamic range
- Up to 4K 120p 10-bit 4:2:2 and full pixel readout in all rec. modes
- Up to 4K 120p in XAVC S (AVC), XAVC HS (HEVC) and XAVC S-I (All-I)
- Up to 4K 60p 16-bit RAW video output via HDMI Type-A connector
- Effective internal heat dissipation enables 1-hour 4K 60p recording
- Fast readout for high frame rates, faster AF, minimal rolling shutter
- No 29 minute 50 second continuous recording limit for movie shooting
- 3” flip-out, vari-angle LCD monitor w/ touch menu and controls
- Dual card slots, both compatible with CFexpress Type A and SDXC/SDHC
- World’s first 9.44M dot QXGA OLED eye-level viewfinder
- Incredible autofocus w/ 759 phase detection AF points, 92% coverage
- 30% improved Real-time Eye-AF and Real-time AF tracking down to EV-6
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization with selectable Active mode
- New menu layout w/ intuitive 3 level structure and touch navigation
- Robust magnesium alloy body w/ dust and moisture resistant sealing
- MI shoe with digital audio interface up to 4ch. 24bit capability
- SuperSpeed USB-C with power delivery and Ethernet wired LAN
- Long Z-battery life extendable via USB Type C with Power Delivery
- Picture Profiles including 10-bit 4:2:2 HLG and S-Log 2 & 3
- 10 in-camera customizable Creative Looks for stills and movies
- 7x adjustable AF Transition Speeds, 5x AF Subject Shift Sensitivity
- Up to 1000 RAW+JPEG at 10fps w/ continuous autofocus and exposure
- 10-bit HEIF HLG still capture with selectable 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 sampling
- Visible Light and IR Sensor improves WB accuracy in artificial light
- High-speed 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi15 / FTP transfer and wireless PC remote
Also announced today are two brand new CFexpress Type-A cards and accompanying 10Gbps transfer speed (via USB Type-C connector) card reader.