Sony’s feature rich DSC-RX0 is looking like it has the potential to blow the competition right out of the water and with its insane 960/1000fps super slow motion capture rate, the water/shock/crush proof RX0 will open up a whole ocean of opportunities for film makers & photographers alike.
Goes Wherever You Go…
The RX0 is a true action cam, boasting waterproofing up to 10 metres (33ft) and up to 100 metres (330ft) when paired with the new MPK-HSR1 housing. It’s also shockproof up to a drop of 2 meters (6.5ft) and crushproof to 200kg (440lbs) so you can feel safe using it in just about any conditions Mother Nature can throw at you.
It also features a 1.0 inch 15.3MP Exmor RSCMOS stacked image sensor (larger that most of the other action cams currently on the market), Sony’s BIONZ X image processor, wide-angle 24mm f/4 ZEISS® Tessar T* lens and an Anti-Distortion shutter capable of shooting up to 1/32,000 sec and up to 16fps when shooting bursts in RAW or JPEG formats.
As mentioned, the RX0 can capture super slow motion* video at up to 960fps and offers 4K clean HDMI output to record uncompressed video to an external recorder. MF assist and Peaking to fine tune focus and Present Focus options are also included. Finally, the RX0 also offers Picture Profile options, S-Log2 and Time Code / User Bit features, which are very useful when shooting in multi-cam set-ups.
*Up to 960fps super slow motion can be recorded. Image quality approaches Full HD quality at 240fps in Quality Priority mode. Sound cannot be recorded when shooting slow motion and setting conditions of focus, exposure, focus area, frame rate and other settings are fixed when start shooting. Micro SDHC/ Micro SDXC memory card of Class 10 or higher is required
While it can be used as a stand alone camera, where the RX0 really differs from the competition is in it’s ability to link up to 15 cameras that can be triggered simultaneously via Sony’s FA-WRC1M wireless radio commander or up to 5 cameras when using the Sony PlayMemories™ Mobile app.
Miniature dimensions and all-around versatility maximize your freedom to take and use the RX0 effortlessly anywhere in creative ways – even with other RX0 cameras spread around to shoot from various perspectives. Respective optical axes of multiple RX0 cameras used together can be properly aligned for flexible setups, thanks to the cameras’ minimal symmetric design.
DSC-RX0 Key Features:
- 1” (1.0-type) Stacked Exmor RS™ CMOS Sensor with DRAM chip
- 24mm F4 ZEISS® Tessar T* lens delivers high-resolution images
- Matchbox sized durable duralumin, water/shock/crush proof body
- Wireless or Wired multi camera control for multi-view applications
- 15.3MP RAW up to 16fps continuous shooting
- Anti-distortion shutter up to 1/32,000 sec minimizes rolling shutter
- Full 1080/60p HD, 720/120p HD and 4K (3840×2160) via HDMI Output
- High frame rate up to 40x Super Slow motion recording
- Advanced video features incl. Time code, Picture Profile, S-Log2
- MPK-HSR1 underwater housing
- VCT-CGR1 Cage for increased flexibility
- CPT-R1Cable Protector
- VF-SPR1Spare Lens Protector,
- VFA-305R1 Filter Adaptor Kit (includes a filter adaptor, lens hood and MC protector)
- NP-BJ1 Rechargeable Battery Pack
- ACC-TRDCJ Accessory Kit
Sony has yet to announce pricing or a North American release date, but the DSC-RX0 is expected to start shipping in Europe later this autumn.
In the meantime, why check out the video below shot entirely on the Sony DSC-RX0
Orbit in Blue
Also published on Medium.