“Optimized for solo 4K movie shooting”, the new Sony FX3 is the smallest Cinema Line series camera to date, featuring up to 4K 120fps 10-bit 4:2:2 recording, ISO up to 409,000, Sony’s S-Cinetone colour matrix and a compact, cage free design.
At first glance, the specs for the FX3 may seem very similar to the a7S III, and indeed, it does inherit a lot of the features found on that camera.
However, there are some big differences, mainly the body design, the addition of features normally found on Sony’s larger cinema cameras and improved continuous shooting time thanks to the internal fan.
The core of the camera is it’s 10.2-megapixel, backside-illuminated Exmor R CMOS full-frame sensor, offering low noise and high sensitivity up to 409,600 ISO and 15+ stops of dynamic range in SLog-3.
It also boasts Sony’s S-Cinetone colour matrix as the default picture profile. Previously only available on the Sony Venice, FX6 and FX9 cameras, the S-Cinetone matrix allows for better colour matching when mixing footage between the FX3 and those cameras.
Other picture profiles include, HLG, S-Gamut3 and S-Gamut3 Cinema.
The Sony FX3 offers several in-camera 4K recording modes.
It also supports 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC S (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Long GOP) and XAVC S-I (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Intra) formats in either 4K (QFHD) or FHD in addition to 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC HS (MPEG-H HEVC/H.265), in 4K only.
Up to 60p 4K (4264 x 2408) uncompressed 16-bit RAW format can also be output to an external device such as the Atomos Ninja V (with fast hard drive) via full-size HDMI Type-A jack directly from the FX3.
When recording high bit-rate (10-bit/16-bit) 4K footage, the FX3 utilizes the internal fan for active cooling in addition to the camera-wide passive heat dissipation structure allowing for “uninterrupted 4K 60p recording without thermal shutdown”.
The 627-point focal-plane phase detection autofocus system is the same as found on the FX6 and features AI-base real-time Eye-AF and real-time tracking AF. Touch tracking is also available via the rear LCD screen.
The Active Mode stabilization works with the 5-Axis in-body image stabilization and can be further enhanced when using a compatible optically stabilized lenses.
As mentioned at the top, the FX3 features a cage free design by providing multiple (5 x 1/4-20 inch UNC on the body and 3 x 1/4-20 inch UNC on the included handle) threaded mounting holes to attach accessories to.
Other ports found on the body itself include, two USB-terminals (Type-C and micro), a headphone jack, and a full-size HDMI Type-A port.
The USB-C port can provide continuous power to the camera, allowing the microUSB port to be used for control or file transfer.
It also boasts dual CFexpress Type A and SD memory card slots.
Sony FX3 Key Features
- 4K full-frame sensor w/ 15+ stop dynamic range and high sensitivity
- S-Cinetone, expressive cinematic look inspired by VENICE colorimetry
- Up to 4K 120p 10-bit 4:2:2 and full pixel readout in all rec. modes
- Compact cage free design w/ ¼”-20 mounting points and XLR top handle
- Uninterrupted 4K 60p rec. w/ cooling fan for effective heat sink
- XLR on top handle, digital MI shoe and 3.5mm jack audio options
- Direct Iris, ISO and Shutter exposure control, optimized for video
- Real-time Eye-AF and Real-time AF tracking for movie shooting
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization with selectable Active mode
- Designed for movie shooting including Zoom lever and Tally lights
- ISO2 up to 409,600 w/ low noise even at higher ISO
- Incredible autofocus w/ 627 phase detection AF points, 89% coverage
- 7x adjustable AF Transition Speeds, 5x AF Subject Shift Sensitivity
- Up to 4K 120p in XAVC S, XAVC HS (Long GOP) and XAVC S-I (All-I)
- Picture Profiles including S-Cinetone, HLG and S-Log 2 & 3
- 10 in-camera customizable Creative Looks for stills and movies
- 16-bit RAW movie output up to 4K 60p via HDMI Type-A connector
- Fast readout for high frame rates, fast AF, minimal rolling shutter
- Dual card slots, both compatible with CFexpress Type A and SDXC/SDHC
- Rigid magnesium alloy body w/ dust and moisture resistant sealing
- Smallest Cinema Line camera optimized for solo movie shooting
- 12.1MP JPEG, RAW and HEIF still image options up to 10fps with AF/AE
- Fast BIONZ XR processing engine delivers 8x more processing power
- Visible Light and IR Sensor improves WB accuracy in artificial light
- No 29m 50s continuous recording limit for movie shooting
- Imaging Edge mobile application for camera control and file transfer
- Mobile tethering for LTE 4/5 G live streaming and FTP data transfer
- SuperSpeed USB-C with power delivery and Ethernet wired LAN
- High-speed 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi / FTP transfer and wireless PC remote
- 3” flip-out, vari-angle LCD monitor w/ touch menu and controls
- New menu layout w/ intuitive 3 level structure and touch navigation
- Long Z-battery life extendable via USB Type C with Power Delivery
- E-Mount maximized with 59 Sony E-Mount lenses (as of Feb 2021)
New Cinematic Freedom Sony’s FX3 Cinema Line camera brings the visions of passionate content creators to life. Cinematic expression is matched with reliable performance and streamlined operation to serve the needs of today’s creative community. Compact and lightweight, it’s easy to carry and handle.