Originally announced in 2018, the Z Cam E2 is essentially a box housing a micro four thirds sensor, mounting points for attachments and minimal external controls.
But don’t let it’s simplicity and small size fool you, the E2 is a fully capable Cinema Camera that can capture DCI and UHD 4K footage at up to 120fps and HD footage at up to 240fps.
Its 4/3” sensor offers 10-bit colour support, native 13 stops of dynamic range (up to 16 stops when set to wide dynamic range) and supports recording in ProRes 422 in 10-bit in addition to H.265 and H.264 codecs for compression.
One of the cooler features is the ability to sync two cameras together using the optional cable with the overall system being able to support syncing of up to 100 cameras.
As mentioned, on the outside of the box, there are multiple hard points for connecting the various accessories that you’ll need to work with the camera. There is also a minimal set of control buttons and a small LCD screen that shows the menu system on the top of the unit.
The included Gigabit connection gives you data transfer and control of the camera through a computer running Z CAM software. You can also control the camera using an iOS device running the Z Camera app and connected to the camera via the USB Type-C port.
Z Cam E2 4K Cinema Camera
- 4K @160fps
- 10-bit (H.265 & ProRes) & 8-bit (H.264)
- 4/3″ WDR CMOS sensor
- MFT lens mount
- 13~15 stops dynamic range (16 stops with WDR enabled)
- ZRAW (partial debayer)
- Apple ProRes certified
- Gigabit Ethernet for data, control & live streaming
- Multi-Cam synchronization
- ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy, ZRAW (partial debayer)
The ZCam E2 M4/3 4K cinema camera was first announced in late 2018 and has since garnered a lot of recognition in the indie production market. Vistek is excited to be the exclusive Canadian partner for ZCam and you can pre-order at Vistek now! Also you can see ZCam at ProFusion 2019!
Get a hands-on look at the Z CAM E2 line up at ProFusion Expo in Toronto this November, including the newly announced:
- E2-S6 Super 35mm 6K Cinema Camera
- E2-F6 Full Frame 6K Cinema Camera
- E2-F8 Full Frame 8K Cinema Camera
Z CAM E2C
The E2C model is slightly smaller than the original E2 and is capable of recording 4K 10-Bit H.265 video through DCI, at up to 300 fps, in addition to 8-bit H.264 at up to 120 fps.
There are a few other differences from the original, the E2C only offers up to 11.5 stops of dynamic rage with shooting with Z-Log2 and ProRes is not available as of yet, but is expected to arrive in a future firmware update.
Another difference is that footage is captured to SDXC media rather than a CFast Card as with the E2.
Z CAM E2C 4K Cinema Camera
- Sensor type: 4/3″ CMOS sensor
- Sensor size: 17.56 x 13.11mm
- Effective pixels: 16.83M
- ISO 800-25600
- Dynamic range: 11.5 Stops (Z-Log2)
- Lens mount: Micro Four Thirds
- Microphone: built-in stereo microphone
- Recording options include Rec 709 and Z-Log2 LUTs, as well as FLAT and hybrid log gamma (HLG) for HDR.
- Resolutions & frame rates: 3840 x 2160 @ 29.97 / 25 / 24 / 23.98 fps, 2880 x 2880 @ 29.97 / 25 / 24/23.98 fps, 1920 x 1080 @ 59.97 / 50 / 29.97 / 25 / 24 / 23.98 fps
- Color bit depth: 10-bit (H.265) / 8-bit (H.264)
- Video encoder: H.265 main 10-bit profile / H.264 high profile
- Audio format: 24-bit 48 kHz, AAC / PCM (for MOV only)
- File format: MOV / MP4
- Record mode: video / time lapse video
The ZCam E2C M4/3 4K cinema camera is Z CAM’s entry level camera and has since garnered a lot of recognition in the indie production market. Vistek is excited to be the exclusive Canadian partner for ZCam and you can pre-order at Vistek now! Also you can see ZCam at ProFusion 2019!
Also published on Medium.