The Nikon Webcam Utility for Windows* is now available for download and will work with any Nikon Z Series or other compatible Nikon DSLR camera.
*Note: Nikon does indicate on their website that a Mac version is “coming soon”, although no eta is provided.
Interestingly, in addition to their own webcam software, Nikon also provides information on how to setup their cameras to live stream using an HDMI cable and various 3rd party video capture devices such as the Elgato Cam Link and broadcast software like OBS Studio.
In terms of compatible Nikon cameras the list is a little limited, especially if you own an older Nikon DSLR.
Here is the list of cameras:
If you are thinking about downloading the software, Nikon has noted some limitations that you should be aware of.
- The camera temperature may rise and live view may end after periods of extended use. Wait for the camera to cool.
- Using live view increases the drain on the battery.
- Exit Nikon Transfer 2 and Camera Control Pro 2 before connecting to the camera.
- When Webcam Utility is accessed from multiple web conferencing apps simultaneously, live view will be available to only one app.
- When using Nikon Transfer 2 or Camera Control Pro 2, end the connection to “Webcam Utility” in the web conferencing app.
- You may not be able to adjust camera settings while the camera is connected to a computer. Before adjusting settings, turn the camera off and disconnect the USB cable.
Download the software free of charge from Nikon’s website here.