The first updates, – versions 2.00 and 3.00 for the X-T2 and X-Pro2 respectively, – will be available later this month (March 2017) with the second set – versions 2.10 and 3.10 – to follow by the end of May.
So What’s New…
FUJIFILM tells us that the new firmware versions will provide a total of 33 functional and operational updates, further saying that they “reflect users’ requests for improving operability and adding new functions”.
They also say that these updates will “dramatically improve operability in autofocus, video recording and viewfinder handling” in addition to adding new functions such as “Voice Memo” and “Copyright Information”.
Here is the full breakdown for the firmware updates:
- Shooting RAW in Bracketing and Advanced Filters
Use the RAW format when shooting not only in AE Bracketing but also in other Bracketing modes (ISO, Dynamic Range, White Balance, Film Simulations) and also in Advanced Filter modes.
- Extended ISO 125 and 160 selectable
Adds ISO125 and ISO160 to extended ISO levels available.
- Programmable long exposure of up to 15 minutes
Long exposure in the T mode currently goes only up to 30 seconds. The update will allow users to extend it up to 15 minutes.
- ON/OFF for 1/3-step shutter speed adjustment (X-T2 only – already in X-Pro2)
Turn off the Command Dial’s function to adjust shutter speed by 1/3 steps in order to prevent unintended adjustments.
- Full-range ISO adjustments with the Command Dial (X-T2 only)
Set the ISO “A” position to “Command” to adjust ISO sensitivity across the full range, including extended ISOs, with the Front Command Dial.
- “AUTO” setting added for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting
Adds an AUTO option for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting, that allows the camera to automatically define the minimum shutter speed according to the focal length of the lens attached.
- Faster “Face Detection AF”
Enables the use of Phase Detection AF for faster performance in Face Detection AF.
- Improved in-focus indication in the AF-C mode
Reduces focus hunting in the AF-C mode, making it easier to track a subject.
- Addition of a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF
Adds a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF, bringing the total number of available sizes to six. The new smallest size facilitates pinpoint focusing.
- Addition of “AF Point Display” (X-Pro2 only – already on X-T2)
Choose to have AF Points constantly displayed in Zone AF and Wide / Tracking AF, making it easier to track a subject.
- Addition of “AF-C Custom Setting” (X-Pro2 only – already on X-T2)
Adds “AF-C Custom Setting” for specifying focus-tracking characteristics. Choose from five presets according to your subject’s type of movements.
- Addition of “Portrait / Landscape AF Mode Switching” (X-T2 only)
Specify separate AF mode and AF point settings for portrait orientation and landscape orientation.
- Change of focus frame position while enlarging it
Move the position of focus frame while enlarging it in Single Point in the AF-S mode or in the Manual Focus.
- Activation of the Eye Sensor in video recording (X-T2 only)
Use the Eye Sensor during video recording to automatically switch between EVF and LCD.
- Change of ISO sensitivity during video recording (X-T2 only)
- Re-autofocusing in video recording
Half-press the Shutter Release button or press the button assigned to “AF-ON” function during video recording to re-do autofocusing.
- Display live histogram during video recording (X-T2 only)
- Optimization of external microphone’s input level (X-T2 only)
Optimizes external microphone’s input level (lower limit revised from -12dB to 20dB) to reduce white noise when an external microphone with preamp is connected.
- Addition of “Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display” in the View Mode
Gives the “Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display” option in the View Mode that allows you to shoot through the viewfinder and check images on the LCD, just as you would with an SLR.
- Shorter EVF display time-lag (X-Pro2 only – already in X-T2)
Shortens EVF’s display time-lag in the AF-C mode so that you will not miss a photo opportunity.
- Constant “Dual” mode display (X-T2 only)
The small window in the Dual mode stays on even when you half-press the shutter release button.
- Automatic vertical GUI for LCD (X-T2 only)
When you hold the camera in the portrait orientation, the camera will automatically display the GUI on the LCD in the same orientation.
- Name Custom Settings
Assign a specific name to Custom Settings 1 – 7.
- Copyright information in EXIF data
Register the photographer’s name and the copyright holder’s name in advance so that the camera automatically adds the information to EXIF data for each image.
- Voice Memo function
Record 30-second “Voice Memo” clips in the Playback mode.
- Extended AE Bracketing
Extends AE Bracketing from the current 3 frames +/-2EV to up to 9 frames +/-3EV.
- Addition of “Shoot Without Card” mode
Can have the “Shoot Without Card” mode turned OFF so that the camera can not shoot when there is no SD card inserted.
- Support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi (X-T2 only)
Adds support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi.
- Addition of “All” AF mode (X-T2 only)
Select “All” in the AF mode so that you can select the AF mode and Focus Area size by only using the Command Dial.
- Function extension for “Shutter AF” and “Shutter AE” (X-T2 only)
Specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in “Shutter AF” and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in “Shutter AE.”
- Addition of “-6” and “-7” to EVF’s brightness setting
Additional options of “-6” and “-7” to the “EVF Brightness” setting so that, even in an extremely low-light condition, the brightness of the EVF does not distract you from shooting.
- Switchover of the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode (X-T2 only)
Switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
- Function assignment to the Rear Command Dial
Assign a specific function to be activated when the Rear Command Dial is pressed.
With its 24.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS III sensor and high-performance X Processor Pro image processing engine, the X-T2 fulfills the high standards of the FUJIFILM X system.
The X-Pro2 Graphite Edition camera kit combines FUJIFILM’s flagship rangefinder-style camera with the popular wide-angle XF 23mm F2 graphite lens and matching graphite lens hood.