Some quick facts about the E-M1:
- 16MP, 4/3 Live MOS
- Built-in WiFi
- Dustproof, freezeproof and splashproof.
- All new Olympus Share 2.0 smartphone app allows you to control the camera from Android and iOS mobile devices
- It’s Olympus’ flagship new camera
- It’s a Micro Four Thirds successor to the Olympus E-5
- Works seamlessly with all ZUIKO Digital lenses and M.ZUIKO lenses
- Advanced DUAL FAST AF system combines both Contrast AF and On-Chip Phase Detection AF.
- Electronic viewfinder (EVF) is as large as a full-frame DSLR viewfinder, and contains added creative control
Our Demo Was Basically the Coolest thing Ever.
Many cameras boast a WiFi access feature, but the OM-D EM1 has taken it to the next level. By scanning the camera’s QR code with your device, you’ll instantly pair through the WiFi network the camera creates. Download the free Olympus Image Share 2.0 (on Android and iOS), and you’ll get the camera’s view on your device instantly. You’ll have access to many of the EM-1’s features including shooting modes, ISO, Live Bulb shooting, filters and more. You can also use your smartphone’s GPS mode to embed GPS data right into your images.
It was an outstanding experience to see the device pairing in action. It was easy to see how this can make everything from group shots to professional portraits much easier.
Lens, Adapter and More
The M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO lens (24–80mm, 35mm equivalent) is the first model in the new M.ZUIKO PRO category and is scheduled for release at the same time as the Olympus OM-D E-M1. It features dustproof and waterproof performance, toughness and excellent image quality. Its mount employs the same type of sealing as the camera body and is Movie & Still Compatible (MSC) with high-speed, near-silent autofocus during still shooting and high-definition (HD) video capture. It maintains the brightness of a constant f2.8 aperture for high-grade image creation, one of the requirements of professional photographers for a high-performance lens.
To fit all ZUIKO lenses onto the E-M1, you’ll need the MM-3 adapter. We managed to take several shots of the E-M1 WITH the E-M1 and a variety of lenses, thanks to the adapter.
Our favourite part of today’s session was simple: We took pro-quality shots of the camera – with the camera. It’s all very meta. Best of all, the results definitely speak for themselves.