Announced at NAB Show 2019 back in April, the Atomos Shogun 7 is a HDR monitor-recorder-switcher that supports up to 4 live HD SDI video streams and one program stream simultaneously.
Atomos has announced a free firmware update that doubles the screen brightness of the Shogun 7 from 1500 nits to 3000 nits, enables high frame rate recording for Sony and Panasonic RAW and adds Dolby Vision Play out.
Shogun 7 Firmware AtomosOS V10.3 Features:
- 3000nit peak brightness enabled – AtomOS 10.3 unlocks the full potential of the Shogun 7 panel, with a new peak brightness measuring 3000nit (+/- 10%) for improved HDR. Combined with our Dynamic AtomHDR technology, the 3000nit firmware update yields 15+ Stops of Dynamic Range, allowing you see more accurately the image captured at your camera’s sensor.
- High frame rate recording – Up to 2kp240 DCI/HD for Sony and Panasonic RAW now available.
- Dolby Vision™ play out
Atomos Shogun 7
The Shogun 7 “can be used as either a stand-alone field monitor, recorder and switcher for event, documentary and live in-the-field storytelling; or as a tool for large-scale on-set episodic TV, film and cinema productions where multiple crew members such as focus pullers, grips and cinematographers require a consistent visual reference across the field monitor ecosystem.”
The Shogun 7 can record up to 5.7K resolution, up to 4K 120fps and 2K 240fps in ProResRAW and offers 10-bit 4:2:2 recording up to 4K/60p and 2K/240p in ProRes or DNxHR formats, for richer colour.
The four SDI inputs support Quad Link, Dual Link or Single link cinema cameras and there are 2 HDMI (1 x input, 1 x output) for tethering to additional monitors and utilizing the Shogun 7’s Dolby Vision HDR output capability.
Atomos Shogun 7 Key Specs
- Up to 5.7K/30p recording in ProRes RAW (camera dependent)
- Up to 2K/240p recording in ProRes RAW (camera dependent)
- ProRes RAW, ProRes, CinemaDNG (up to 30p) and DNxHD formats supported
- 1500nit true HD display capable of 15+ stops of DR
- 1 x HDMI input, 4 x SDI inputs
- 1 x HDMI output, 1 x SDI output
- Live multi-camera switching and ISO recording up to 1080/60p
- HDR monitoring in many supported Log profiles
- Dolby Vision HDR capable for on set HDR monitoring
- 2 x, 1.5x, and 1.33x anamorphic de-squeeze
- Genlock In/Out
- Balanced audio inputs with phantom power via optional breakout
- Takes NP-F type batteries
- Records onto AtomX SSDmini or approved SATA SSD drives
The Atomos Shogun 7 is a precision HDR monitor-recorder-switcher designed for the film and video professional. It can be used as either a stand-alone field monitor, recorder and switcher for event, documentary and live in-the-field storytelling; or as a tool for large-scale on-set episodic TV, film and cinema productions where multiple crew members such as focus pullers, grips and cinematographers require a consistent visual reference across the field monitor ecosystem.